A Simple Decongesting Herbal Steam
Updated: Jan 7, 2019
A herbal steam is a wonderful way to relieve sinus pressure, stuffed nasal passageways, aid in chest decongestion, and soothe irritation due to coughs, colds or seasonal allergies. Ancient healers and herbalists were known to utilize herbal steams in order to extract the fresh plant's healing constituents, oils and extracts, so that they may be inhaled comfortably and used to treat a variety of ailments.
Here is a simple and easy to craft steam blend:
1 tbsp Peppermint Leaves
1 tbsp Rosemary
2 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp Lavender
1/4 cup Dead Sea or Himalayan Pink Salts
2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
1. Mix all loose ingredients in a large ceramic or glass bowl.
2. Pour boiling water over the herbal and salt mixture.
3. Cover your head with a towel, and position your face over the bowl using the towel as a tent to hold in the steam.
4. With the eyes closed, slowly inhale the aromatic steam alternately through both mouth and nose, breathing as deeply as is comfortable for up to 10 minutes.
5. Splash face with cool water for a refreshing finish.
Tip: Strain the liquid from herbs, and use this wonderful 'bath tea' in your evening soak!
This process may be repeated 1-2 times daily as needed.
Bonus: Steaming is wonderful for the skin! Finish your herbal steam by applying a nourishing facial toner and facial serum to face, neck and décolleté to hydrate and replenish.